AutoRead | User Guide
AutoRead is a plugin (custom rule action) for the Outlook Rule Wizard. It allows you to add "Mark as Read" and "Remove New Mail Icon" commands to Outlook rules.
AutoRead features include:
- Mark messages as read (with a custom rule action)
- Remove the "New Mail" icon (with a custom rule action)
To install AutoRead, simply download and run the installer. The installer will guide you through the setup process. Shutdown Outlook before installing or uninstalling AutoRead.
You have to have Administrator (or PowerUser) privileges to install AutoRead. Once installed, AutoRead can be run as a regular user without Administrator privileges.
Enabling AutoRead on an Outlook folder
To enable AutoRead on an Outlook folder:
- Select the folder in Outlook. Choose "Tools"->"AutoRead: Folder Properties" from the Outlook's menu.
- In the "AutoRead: Folder Properties" dialog, check "Enable AutoRead in this folder"
- If you would like new messages in this folder to be marked as read, check "Mark the message as read"
- If you would like AutoRead to remove Outlook's "New Mail" icon when a new message arrives in this folder, check "Remove the 'New Mail' icon".
- Click "OK".
Custom Rule Action
To create a rule using AutoRead:
- Create a Rule Wizard rule that matches the messages you would like to not be interrupted about. (For example, "all messages to firstname.lastname@example.org").
- In the "What do you want to do with the message?" step check the "perform a custom action" option.
- Click on "a custom action" in the "Rule Description" window.
- Select "AutoRead" in the "Choose an action to be performed" drop-down box.
- Click on the "Change..." button.
If you would like the message to be marked as read, check the
"Mark Message as Read" box.
If you would like the "New Mail" icon to be removed when the message arrives, check the "Remove New Mail Icon" box
Note: These options are specific to the rule. Different rules can have different options.
- Click the "OK" button to save the rule options.
- Click the "OK" button in the "Select Custom Action" window.
- Finish creating the rule as usual.
Please refer to Outlook documentation for details on creating and working with rules.
To uninstall AutoRead
- Launch Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs.
- Select AutoRead (remove only).
- Click the "Change/Remove" ("Add/Remove") button.
- Follow the uninstaller instructions.
Thank you for using AutoRead.