MessageSave Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)¶
- Installation and Compatibility
- What operating systems are supported?
- What versions of Outlook are supported?
- Are Office 365 accounts supported?
- Does MessageSave work on Exchange Public Folders?
- Does MessageSave work with Outlook Web Access (OWA)?
- I don’t see any new buttons on the Outlook toolbar after installing MessageSave. Why?
- MessageSave has disappeared from my outlook. How do I get it back?
- Why does the MessageSave toolbar disappear after I restart Outlook?
- I am a licensed user. How do I get updates?
- I administer thousands of workstations. How do I easily deploy MessageSave to all of them?
- How do I save all messages from Inbox and all subfolders?
- How do I search in the files saved with MessageSave?
- Can I preview MSG files directly in Windows Explorer?
- Does MessageSave save attachments along with the messages?
- How do I quickly see which MSG files have attachments?
- How do I use QuickJump to select destination folder in MessageSave?
- Can MessageSave copy destination folder path to the clipboard after saving messages?
- Can I use environment variables in the destination folder path?
- Can MessageSave save digitally signed or encrypted messages?
- Messages older than one year are not been saved. Why?
- I have hundreds of gigabytes of email to export. How do I make MessageSave go as fast as possible?
- MBOX Format and Exporting to Mac
- Can MessageSave be used to transfer email for Outlook for Mac to Apple Mail?
- How do I import an MBOX file into Apple Mail?
- How do I import an MBOX file into Outlook 2011 for Mac?
- How do I import an MBOX file into Mac Enoutrage?
- After importing MBOX file into Entourage, timestamps are showing the import time, not message time.
Installation and Compatibility¶
What operating systems are supported?¶
MessageSave for Microsoft Outlook runs on Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10, 2008 R2, 2012 R2 with the latest Service Pack.
What versions of Outlook are supported?¶
- MessageSave 6 works with Outlook 2007, 2010, 2013 and 2016 (both 32 and 64 bit).
- MessageSave 5 works with Outlook 2003, 2007, 2010, and 2013 (both 32 and 64 bit).
Be sure to install the latest Office Service Pack. We recommend that you enable automatic Windows Updates to keep your system up-to-date.
MessageSave does NOT work with Outlook Express, Windows Mail or Outlook for Mac.
Are Office 365 accounts supported?¶
Does MessageSave work on Exchange Public Folders?¶
Yes, MessageSave works on messages in Public Folders. It can also be used on messages in Exchange mailboxes and Personal Folders (PST).
Does MessageSave work with Outlook Web Access (OWA)?¶
MessageSave does not support Outlook Web Access. It requires regular Outlook.
MessageSave has disappeared from my outlook. How do I get it back?¶
Please check the following location:
- Outlook 2010, 2013, 2016: view step-by-step instructions). . (
- Outlook 2007:
- Outlook 2003 or earlier:
If you see MessageSave on that list, select it and click Enable. Then restart Outlook.
In Outlook 2007 or later, if the above does not help, please verify that the Apply macro security settings to installed add-ins option is OFF. If that option is checked, uncheck it and restart Outlook. It is located under:
- Outlook 2010, 2013, 2016: .
- Outlook 2007: .
If the above does not help, please try the steps listed in the next question.
If this happens to you repeatedly, there is likely an issue with Outlook itself. By far, the most common reason for this is a corrupted PST/OST file. You will find a solution for this and other potential reasons in this article. Please run scanpst on all your PST/OST files. Please note that you have to run scanpst repeatedly on every PST/OST file, until it tells you that there are no more errors in the file.
Why does the MessageSave toolbar disappear after I restart Outlook?¶
This issue is likely caused by the fact that Outlook is still running after you closed its main window (usually due to a third-party misbehaving add-in).
Next time this happens, please use the following steps:
- Close Outlook
- Open the Task Manager
- Switch to the Processes tab
- Find Outlook.exe
- Select it and click “End Task”
- Wait 5 seconds, then start Outlook again.
That should bring your missing MessageSave back.
If this keeps happening to you, you might want to disable some of the add-ins you have installed, to find which one is causing this issue. Please see this article for more information.
I am a licensed user. How do I get updates?¶
For MessageSave 5 and 6, use the Check for Updates command. For previous versions of MessageSave, you can download the latest update for which you are eligible from this page.
How do I enter my license key into MessageSave?¶
Follow instructions in your “license information” email. It will point you to the “Enter License Key” command, located under:
- Outlook 2010 or newer: MessageSave Ribbon dropdown. (Click on the lower part of the MessageSave button, which looks like a small triangle).
- Outlook 2007 or older: menu in the main Outlook window.
Note: Instructions for older versions of MessageSave are different. Please see your license information email for details.
How do I transfer my MessageSave license to a new computer?¶
Please see this section of the User Guide. Be sure to save your license key email in a safe place.
How many licenses do I need?¶
You need one license for each computer where you install the product. If multiple users use the same computer (not at the same time), you only need one license for that computer, unless it is a shared server environment, such as Terminal Server, Citrix, etc. In that case, you need a license for each user who has an ability to run the product on that server. (Named user license, rather than concurrent license).
How do I save all messages from Inbox and all subfolders?¶
Follow these simple steps:
- Open the folder from which you would like to save messages (for example, Inbox).
- Click on the MessageSave toolbar button.
- Select “All messages in the current folder” and check the “Include Subfolders” checkbox.
- Click the “Save Now” button.
That’s it! Note, the above steps will work for any folder, not just the Inbox.
How do I search in the files saved with MessageSave?¶
If you are using Windows 7 or newer, built-in Windows Search does a great job of indexing MSG files and their content, including any attachments. Be sure to include the folders with MSG files into the list of locations indexed by Windows Search.
Can I preview MSG files directly in Windows Explorer?¶
Yes. On Windows 7, 8 and 10, you can enable File Explorer “Preview Pane” to preview MSG files. You need Outlook 2010 or above, for the File Explorer preview pane to work on MSG files.
- Windows 10 and 8: View -> Preview pane
- Windows 7: Organize -> Layout -> Preview Pane
Does MessageSave save attachments along with the messages?¶
Yes, by default, the entire message, including all attachments are saved in the msg file.
How do I quickly see which MSG files have attachments?¶
The Has Attachments column in Windows File Explorer will contain yes if the message has an attachment. See Set Detailed Information On Saved Files for details.
How do I use QuickJump to select destination folder in MessageSave?¶
Ctrl+Shift+J as soon as you open the “Save Messages” window. See this page for more details and a video illustration.
Can MessageSave copy destination folder path to the clipboard after saving messages?¶
Yes, it can. In fact, this can be a quick timesaver for cases when you need to notify your coworkers about saved messages. To enable this option, create the following registry value and set it to 1 (DWORD). Note that this option is also available via MessageSave centralized admin facilities.
Can I use environment variables in the destination folder path?¶
When you use MessageSave centralized administration facilities to configure end-user workstations, in some cases it is useful to define destination folder locations specific to each user. In this case, you can use environment variables, such as %USERPROFILE%, in the value “Default directory for saving messages”.
Can MessageSave save digitally signed or encrypted messages?¶
Yes, it can.
Messages older than one year are not been saved. Why?¶
You must be using Outlook 2013 or later with an Exchange account. By default Outlook synchronizes only 12 months worth of messages. Please follow the directions in this article to set the “Mail to keep offline” value to All.
I have hundreds of gigabytes of email to export. How do I make MessageSave go as fast as possible?¶
The following suggestions will help:
MBOX Format and Exporting to Mac¶
The questions below apply only to customers who use MessageSave to transfer Outlook Email, Contacts and Calendar to Apple Mac.
Can MessageSave be used to transfer email for Outlook for Mac to Apple Mail?¶
MessageSave only supports migrating from Windows Outlook to Mac. It does not work with Mac Outlook.
How do I import an MBOX file into Apple Mail?¶
How do I import an MBOX file into Outlook 2011 for Mac?¶
How do I import an MBOX file into Mac Enoutrage?¶
To import an mbox file into Entourage, simply drag and drop it onto the Entourage Inbox (in the Entourage folder list). After that, you should see a small triangle to the left of the Inbox. Click on it to display the newly imported folder(s). More details on importing MBOX files into Entourage.
After importing MBOX file into Entourage, timestamps are showing the import time, not message time.¶
Entourage has two timestamps columns - Received and Sent. The Received column displays the time of import. The Sent column displays the actual message time. You can enable the Sent column via the View menu.