Automatically save Excel document attachments in CSV format
In some cases, you might need to save Excel spreadsheet attachments as CSV files. EZDetach makes that process very easy. Simply follow the steps below.
Note: you must have Microsoft Excel installed for this method to work.
- Save this file excel2csv.vbs to c:\excel2csv.vbs (or another folder on your computer).
- Select one or more messages with Excel documents attached and click the EZDetach Outlook toolbar button.
- Check the "Execute" checkbox and put c:\excel2csv.vbs in the field next to it.
- Click "Open Folder" to open the destination folder.
- Click "Save Now"
- That's it. You should see the saved files in the destination folder.
For example, if an attachment is called report.xlsx, the converted text file will be called report.xlsx.rtf. This method should work with both xlsx and xls files.
You can use a similar approach to to automatically convert attachments in incoming messages by configuring EZDetach scheduler. See EZDetach User Guide for more information.
Note: excel2csv.vbs script we provide is very simple, just to illustrate the approach. It can be made more robust/feature full to fit your needs. You can also use this script to batch convert Excel documents using a batch script.
Did you find this tip useful? Let us know.