EZDetach Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)¶
- Installation and Compatibility
- How do I install and activate the product?
- What operating systems are supported?
- What versions of Outlook are supported?
- Are Office 365 accounts supported?
- Does EZDetach work on Exchange Public Folders?
- Does EZDetach work with Outlook Web Access (OWA)?
- I don’t see any new buttons on the Outlook toolbar after installing EZDetach. Why?
- EZDetach has disappeared from my outlook. How do I get it back?
- Why does the EZDetach toolbar disappear after I restart Outlook?
- I am a licensed user. How do I get updates?
- I administer thousands of workstations. How do I easily deploy EZDetach to all of them?
- Does EZDetach send my email data to TechHit servers?
- I have ezdetached a number of attachments, but my pst size has not decreased. Why?
- How do I stop EZDetach from saving small images from email signatures?
- The “Reattach Links” command doesn’t seem to be working for me.
- How do I use QuickJump to select destination folder in EZDetach?
- Can EZDetach copy destination folder path to the clipboard after saving messages?
- Can I use environment variables in the destination folder path?
- Will attachment links be accessible via OWA or on my phone?
- I created a rule with EZDetach and see an error every time I send a message - “messaging interface has returned an unknown error”
- I created a rule with EZDetach custom action, but it doesn’t work. Why?
- Outlook is blocking EZDetach links with “Outlook blocked access to the following potentially unsafe attachments”
Installation and Compatibility¶
How do I install and activate the product?¶
First, download and install the trial version of the product, if you have not already done so. Run the installer and follow the prompts. If you have a license, be sure to install the version for which you are licensed.
Use the “Enter License Key” command to enter your license key into the product. It is located under:
- Outlook 2010 or newer: EZDetach Ribbon dropdown. (Click on the lower part of the EZDetach button, which looks like a small triangle).
- Outlook 2007 or older: menu in the main Outlook window.
Note: Instructions for older versions of EZDetach are different. Please see your license information email for details.
Be sure to save your license key email in a safe place. You will need it if you decide to move the product to a new computer in the future.
What operating systems are supported?¶
Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10, 2012 R2, 2016 with the latest Service Pack. Microsoft .NET Framework version 4.6 or newer is required.
What versions of Outlook are supported?¶
- EZDetach 7 works with Outlook 2010, 2013, 2016, 2019, Office 365 (both 32 and 64 bit).
Be sure to install the latest Office Service Pack. We recommend that you enable automatic Windows Updates to keep your system up-to-date.
EZDetach does NOT work with Outlook Express, Windows Mail or Outlook for Mac.
Are Office 365 accounts supported?¶
Does EZDetach work on Exchange Public Folders?¶
Yes, EZDetach works on messages in Public Folders. It can also be used on messages in Exchange mailboxes and Personal Folders (PST).
Does EZDetach work with Outlook Web Access (OWA)?¶
EZDetach does not support Outlook Web Access. It requires regular Outlook.
EZDetach has disappeared from my outlook. How do I get it back?¶
Please check the following location:
- Outlook 2010 or later: view step-by-step instructions). . (
- Outlook 2007:
- Outlook 2003 or earlier:
If you see EZDetach on that list, select it and click Enable. Then restart Outlook.
In Outlook 2007 or later, if the above does not help, please verify that the Apply macro security settings to installed add-ins option is OFF. If that option is checked, uncheck it and restart Outlook. It is located under:
- Outlook 2010, 2013, 2016: .
- Outlook 2007: .
If the above does not help, please try the steps listed in the next question.
If this happens to you repeatedly, there is likely an issue with Outlook itself. By far, the most common reason for this is a corrupted PST/OST file. You will find a solution for this and other potential reasons in this article. Please run scanpst on all your PST/OST files. Please note that you have to run scanpst repeatedly on every PST/OST file, until it tells you that there are no more errors in the file.
Why does the EZDetach toolbar disappear after I restart Outlook?¶
This issue is likely caused by the fact that Outlook is still running after you closed its main window (usually due to a third-party misbehaving add-in).
Next time this happens, please use the following steps:
- Close Outlook
- Open the Task Manager
- Switch to the Processes tab
- Find Outlook.exe
- Select it and click “End Task”
- Wait 5 seconds, then start Outlook again.
That should bring your missing EZDetach back.
If this keeps happening to you, you might want to disable some of the add-ins you have installed, to find which one is causing this issue. Please see this article for more information.
I am a licensed user. How do I get updates?¶
For EZDetach, use the Check for Updates command.
How do I transfer my EZDetach license to a new computer?¶
Please see this section of the User Guide. Be sure to save your license key email in a safe place.
How many licenses do I need?¶
Starting with version 7, EZDetach is licensed per-user. A licensed user can use the product on up to 5 devices, provided all devices are exclusively used by that user. If multiple users have access to a device where the product is installed, each user requires a license.
Prior to v7, EZDetach was license per user per device.
Does EZDetach send my email data to TechHit servers?¶
EZDetach logic is client-based. Your email is not sent to TechHit servers.
I have ezdetached a number of attachments, but my pst size has not decreased. Why?¶
Did you remember to enable the Remove attachments option? After removing attachments, to make your PST files smaller, you have to compact them. If that does not help, your PST might be corrupted. Please run scanpst, also known as Inbox Repair Tool, on your file and fix any errors it finds. Do backup your PST file first, just in case. Scanpst instructions are here.
How do I stop EZDetach from saving small images from email signatures?¶
Disable Process Images In HTML Messages.
How do I use QuickJump to select destination folder in EZDetach?¶
Simply hit Ctrl+Shift+J as soon as you open the “Save Attachments” window. See this page for more details and a video illustration.
Can EZDetach copy destination folder path to the clipboard after saving messages?¶
Yes, it can. In fact, this can be a quick timesaver for cases when you need to notify your coworkers about saved messages. To enable this option, create the following registry value and set it to 1 (DWORD). Note that this option is also available via EZDetach centralized admin facilities.
Can I use environment variables in the destination folder path?¶
When you use EZDetach centralized administration facilities to configure end-user workstations, in some cases it is useful to define destination folder locations specific to each user. In this case, you can use environment variables, such as %USERPROFILE%, in the value “Default directory for saving messages”.
I created a rule with EZDetach and see an error every time I send a message - “messaging interface has returned an unknown error”¶
Sounds like you have created a rule that acts on sent messages. Due to the way Outlook rules work, EZDetach is only compatible with rules that act on received messages. This is because Outlook invokes sent message rules before a message is actually sent. As a workaround, you can use run EZDetach automatically to save attachments from the Sent Items folder.
I created a rule with EZDetach custom action, but it doesn’t work. Why?¶
There are several potential causes for the problem:
- Make sure you click the “Change…” button when creating rules.
- Make sure you don’t have multiple instances of Outlook simultaneously accessing the same Exchange server mailbox. For example, one each on your home and office computers.
- Read this Microsoft Knowledge Base articles on Outlook rule troubleshooting.